- Good Management, Good Records (issued in December 2004) and
- Circular HSS (PCCD) 1/2000 – Preservation, Retention and Destruction of GP Medical Records
- Circular HSS(F) 14/03 - Preservation and Destruction of Financial and Associated Records
This guidance provides a framework for consistent and effective records management based on advice and publications from the Ministry of Justice2 and PRONI. In establishing this guidance the Department has taken account of current practice followed by a wide range of organisations in both the public and private sectors, recommendations emanating from reviews, guidance from professional organisations and bodies, and importantly what the law requires. It is important that the guidelines within GMGR are factored into contractual negotiations with the independent contractor sector providing services to the HSC.
The aims of GMGR are to:
- establish a framework for records management in relation to the creation, use, storage, management and disposal (destruction or archiving) of all types of DHSSPS, HSC and Public Safety records;
- clarify the legal obligations in relation to records management and information access;
- explain the actions required by Chief Executives and other managers to fulfil these obligations;
- explain the requirement to select records for permanent preservation as directed by PRONI;
- set out recommended minimum periods for retention of all types of DHSSPS, HSC and Public Safety records, regardless of the media on which they are held;
- provide an important reference for provider bodies and organisations in delivering HSC services thereby providing a framework for records for both providers and users of the service; and
- indicate where further information on records management may be found.
2 The Ministry of Justice assumed responsibility for the Department for Constitutional Affairs (formerly the Lord Chancellor’s Office) on 09/05/2007. Publications for the Department for Constitutional Affairs are available at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10012316