The Consultation Process in DHSSPS
The Department recognises the importance of proper consultation and in carrying out its equality duties consults in a timely, open and inclusive way and in accordance with the Equality Commission’s Guiding principles.
The Department works with representative groups and individuals of the Section 75 categories to obtain their views.
The wide range of views are analysed by those carrying out the consultation to draw conclusions in terms of policy impact and how it has been changed as a result of the consultation. These are reflected upon in the published documents.
Here are some useful links, guidance and sources of information on consultation.
- Let's Talk, Let's Listen (PDF 12KB) - Consulting and Involving Children and Young People
- The Participation Network - provides advice and guidance to government departments in Northern Ireland to fulfill their duties to effectively engage children and young people in public decision making.
- How to consult with people with learning disabilities - " A Fair Chance" (PDF 349KB)
- Guiding Principles on Consultations - page 58-60 of the Guide to Statutory Duties Arising from Section 75 (PDF 584KB)
- Engage - Your Voice Matters - Your Voice Counts - The website www.engage.hscni.net is the e-network for the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) stakeholder involvement programme in Northern Ireland. This website is designed to promote good communication, allow for better sharing of best practice, and facilitate exchange of information between users, carers and organisations.