Human Resources Directorate
The primary purpose of this Directorate is to ensure human resource policies and strategies developed and implemented across the HSC in Northern Ireland are workable and will lead to an efficient and effective workforce in the health service. The main work of the Directorate includes:
- taking forward workforce issues for ‘Transforming Your Care’;
- facilitating the education and training of pre and post registration health workers;
- public appointments on behalf of the Department to 18 public bodies;
- setting policy and taking forward subordinate legislation for pension provision for all HSC employees;
- leading on industrial relation issues through the negotiation of terms & conditions of employment for all professions and grades within the HSC both at a national and regional level;
- secretariat for the Clinical Excellence Awards scheme for consultant doctors and dentists;
- facilitating the development of workforce plans which will meet the requirements for service delivery;
- full sponsorship of the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA) and the Northern Ireland Practice & Education Council for Nursing & Midwifery (NIPEC) and contributes (on a 4 country basis) towards Skills For Health and the Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence;
- regulatory issues for healthcare staff and in particular pharmacists who are not regulated on a UK-wide basis but have a local regulatory body.
In carrying out the above role the Directorate manages a budget of £150M.
The Director of Human Resources is Diane Taylor.