Child Care Policy Directorate
Child Care Policy Directorate has Departmental responsibility for the development and review of Policy, Legislation and Guidance on Child Protection and Children in Care in Northern Ireland. The task of Child Care Policy Directorate is to ensure that a broad policy and operational perspective is brought to the development of Child Care Services in Northern Ireland, which includes responsibility for the following areas:
The Directorate’s key policy objectives are to set an overall strategic context for the delivery of Children’s Social Services, aimed at:
- ensuring that children are properly protected;
- strengthening support to families and children who are at risk of being taken into care;
- ensuring that children who come into care are in the right placement, which offers them maximum stability;
- implementing effective strategies to improve outcomes for care-experienced young people;
- strengthening support to young people leaving care as they make the transition to adulthood; and
- providing effective support for everyone affected by adoption.
In the delivery of its policy objectives, Child Care Policy Directorate generally works closely and co-operatively with other Government Departments and agencies of those Departments. On a number of policy matters, Child Care Policy Directorate also works closely with Government Departments in other parts of the United Kingdom.