There are five professional groups within the department, each led by a Chief Professional Officer:
- Chief Medical Officer - Dr Michael McBride
- Chief Social Services Officer - Mr Sean Holland
- Chief Nursing Officer - Mrs Charlotte McArdle
- Acting Chief Dental Officer - Simon Reid
- Chief Pharmaceutical Officer - Dr Mark Timoney
They provide advice to and discharge functions for the Department on medical, nursing, dental, pharmaceutical and social work matters. They also provide advice and services to the wider Northern Ireland Civil Service and the Prison Service in respect of public health, medical and dental services.