Safety, Quality and Standards
The HPSS (Quality, Improvement and Regulation) (NI) Order 2003 allows for the regulation of a range of health and social care services, and for the development of minimum standards for these services. The Department is developing standards for regulated services across the statutory, voluntary and private sectors.
These standards focus on the safety, dignity, wellbeing and quality of life of service users. They are designed to address unacceptable variations in the standards of treatment, care and services and to raise the quality of services. They will be used by RQIA, alongside the requirements of regulations, in making decisions on regulation of establishments and agencies.
They will also assist organisations in assessing the quality of their service provision and will provide greater transparency for the public on the standard of care and treatment they can expect to receive.
Eight sets of standards have now been published and can be accessed by following the links below.
- Nursing Home Standards (PDF 544 KB)
- Residential Care Homes Standards (PDF 525 KB)
- Nursing Agencies Standards (PDF 344 KB)
- Domiciliary Care Agencies Standards (PDF 385 KB)
- Residential Family Centres Standards (PDF 410 KB)
- Day Care Settings Standards (PDF 472 KB)
- Childminding and Day Care for Children under Age 12 Standards(PDF 430 KB)
- Childrens Homes Standards (PDF 850 KB)
Further standards covering the range of health and social care services regulated under the HPSS (Quality, Improvement and Regulation) (NI) Order 2003 will be published here in due course.
If you require further information about Care Standards, please contact, in the first instance;
Standards and Guidelines Quality Unit
Tel: 02890 522351
Email: - SGQU@dhsspsni.gov.uk