The main work areas of the Departments Economists are:
- To incorporate economic analysis into Policy Development and
This ranges from assessing the economic costs of a policy to carrying out detailed health and regulatory impact assessments on issues such as the 2006 Smoking Order. We also provide support and advice on the monitoring and evaluation of policy.
- To provide costings to inform the implementation of NICE Guidelines.
- To assist with the implementation of the Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland.
- To achieve Value for Money and Accountability in capital expenditure, we provide advice on business cases pre-submission and quality assure business cases submitted to the department ensuring these are compliant with Treasury and DFP guidance.
- To signal to department policy colleagues changes to appraisal guidance and to implement these changes to the appraisal process.
- To represent the department's interest on a range of external groups including the Economic Research Institute for Northern Ireland (ERINI) Regional Advisory Group and the Northern Ireland Health Economics Group (NIHEG).