NICE Interventional Procedures Programme
An interventional procedure is defined as any procedure used for diagnosis or treatment that involves incision; puncture; entry into a body cavity; or the use of ionising, electromagnetic or acoustic energy. The NICE Interventional Procedures Programme assess the safety and efficacy of new interventional procedures. It aims to protect the safety of patients and to support clinicians, healthcare organisations and the NHS as a whole in managing clinical innovation responsibly.
Since 1st January 2007, the Department has been a participant in the NICE Interventional Procedures Programme, which enables local healthcare professionals who are considering using a new interventional procedure to have it assessed by NICE. The arrangements for how to do this are set out in the following circular:
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) The Interventional Procedures Programme
This circular updates and replaces circular HSS(PPMD)/(NICE)01/07.
The following flowchart has been developed which sets out the steps which should be taken when considering using a new interventional procedure:
As part of the current arrangements, the Department issues bi-monthly communications to the HSC detailing the latest Interventional Procedures published by NICE. These can be found further down this page.
Since NICE started the Interventional Procedures Programme, they have determined that the following procedures should NOT BE USED:
- IPG070 - Scleral expansion surgery for presbyopia
- IPG225 - Corneal implants for the correction of refractive error
- IPG234 - Laraposcopic uterine nerve ablation (LUNA) for chronic pelvic pain
- IPG241 - Soft-palate implants for obstructive sleep apnoea
- IPG301 - Transmyocardial laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris
- IPG302 - Percutaneous laser revascularisation for refractory angina pectoris
Bi-monthly HSC Communications 2014
- NICE Interventional Procedures Guidance - Bi-monthly HSC Communication - September & October 2014
- NICE Interventional Procedures Guidance - Bi-monthly HSC Communication - July & August 2014
- NICE Interventional Procedures Guidance – Bi-monthly HSC Communication – May & June 2014
- NICE Interventional Procedures Guidance – Bi-monthly HSC Communication – March & April 2014
- NICE Interventional Procedures Guidance – Bi-monthly HSC Communication – January & February 2014
Further information on the Interventional Procedures Programme can be found on the NICE