Statistics & Research
All Statistics & Research for the Department is provided by the Information and Analysis Directorate (IAD). The Management Group of the Directorate is made up of 5 Principal Statisticians and a Principal Economist. The Head of the Directorate is the Senior Principal Statistician, Dr Eugene Mooney.
- DHSSPS Statement of Compliance with the Pre-release Access to Official Statistics Order (Northern Ireland) 2009 (PDF 42KB)
- The UK Statistics Authority's Code of Practice for Official Statistics sets out the key principles and protocols which official statisticians are expected to follow and uphold. Find out more at UK Statistics Authority
- Use of Administrative Sources (PDF 20KB)
- Statement of Administrative Sources - updated 7 April 2011 (PDF 55KB)
Their aim is to provide a high quality service in support of evidence-based decision making through:
- Provision of relevant, timely and accurate information on the HPSS
- Objective statistical and economic analyses
- Monitoring of the preformance of the HPSS
- Publication/dissemination of reports, bulletins etc.
- Administration of Departmental Surveys, Registries and Research Budget
What Does the Directorate Offer ?
Information and Analysis Directorate, although part of the Planning and Resources Group of the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, services a wide range of customers.
It is made up of six branches as follows:
- Economics Branch
- Project Support Analysis Branch
- Hospital Information Branch
- Family Practitioner Services Information & Research Branch
- Community Information Branch
- Public Health Information and Research Branch.
Apart from Family Practitioner Services Information and Research Branch, all the branches are sited within the Castle Buildings complex. Family Practitioner Services Information and Research Branch is sited within the Central Services Agency, Adelaide Street, Belfast.
The information and analysis services provided by the Directorate are outlined below.
- Information Development
- Information Quality Assurance
- Information Dissemination
- Information Analysis